31. Staphylococcus aureus prevalence in the fresh salad and vegetables of the Quetta city

Main Article Content

Sundus Saifullah, Ferhat Abbas, Abdul Samad Muhammad Rizwan, Farah Sabeen Bugti Saima, Roomeela, Mohammad Yousaf Tworko Mykhaylo Abdul Raziq

Abstract

Staphylococcal aureus (S. aureus) has been reported as the most prevalent bacteria which can cause foodborne disease worldwide. Since fresh salads, vegetables are consumed uncooked and if contaminated with microbial pathogens may lead to severe food borne illness. This study aimed to evaluate the contamination rate of Staphylococcal aureus in fresh ready to eat salad, sold in local markets of Quetta city, Pakistan. Out of 100 samples tested, 54 were found contaminated with S. aureus. Out of 54 S. aureus isolates, 32 (59%) were coagulase positive S. aureus. However, 22 (40%) were coagulase negative. Enumeration of coagulase positive S. aureus samples revealed that only10% (n=3) of the total collected samples were within the level of acceptance<20 cfu g-1, while 40% (n=12) sample were almost on the threshold of Borderline (20-<10-4cfu g-1). Whereas 50% (n=17) samples were at Unacceptable level (>10-4cfu g-1). Furthermore, higher S. aureus contamination of fresh food samples was observed during early summer season.


Keywords: Bacterial count; Biochemical tests; S. aureus; Salad; Vegetables


http://dx.doi.org/10.19045/bspab.2018.70031

Most read articles by the same author(s)

Obs.: This plugin requires at least one statistics/report plugin to be enabled. If your statistics plugins provide more than one metric then please also select a main metric on the admin's site settings page and/or on the journal manager's settings pages.